Translate

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Apocalypse - Age of Apocalypse Homemade Statue


It is an age old tale that must be told.  I'm referring to the Age of Apocalypse Apocalypse statue tale.


(Note: You can improve the quality of the video you are watching by clicking on the "spur" icon on the bottom right once the video is playing)


     In the summer of 2010 I had about two weeks completely free so I thought that I would take some time to try out the sculpting thing.  I know that no company is interested in producing Age of Apocalypse (AoA) statues and so I decided I would attempt to create an AoA Apocalypse statue  myself.  What you see posted here is the result which was based on this image:




He's by no means perfect but I'm certainly happy to have him in existence.  If you want to check out the full story on the various trials and tribulations that defined the process of bringing this statue to "life" check out the introductory video above.

For those intrigued, here are a few more shots of some of the more standout attributes.

The base is a big heavy chunk of super skulpy which somehow manages to keep this monstrosity standing.


I thought the classic X design which was used in the AoA comic titles would be a great addition to the base.  I was right!


Since I was having trouble keeping this statue standing I decided to lodge it into the base with two part expoxy.  It's not the most attractive solution, but a solution nonetheless.


The legs are badly painted due to a number of problems, but they hold this sucker up nonetheless.  The Apocalypse G-string is painted in, and the stripes on the outer leg are sculpted out.


The top of the body has some potential and could be made into a bust by a talented set of brothers (Kucharek?).


The bands and gloves were quite a challenge in-it-of-themselves.  I worked on them for a couple of days.


The top of the costume was another big challenge.  It took forever to get it "straight" and "smooth".


The cape was a bitch to make and a even worse one to make "stable". I'm glad after three years it hasn't fallen off.


I hope the statue gods answer my AoA prayers some day and somebody professional produces an Apocalypse for me that I can place next to this bad boy (because this one isn't going anywhere... I worked too damn hard and long for me to ever give up on it).  AoA rocks!

No comments :

Post a Comment